Monday, May 26, 2008

Being envious

Whenever I come across a post where it is mentioned that the blogger's mom is coming down to stay with them and to help them out during their post delivery stage, I become jealous. As mentioned in those posts that their mother travels miles to help their daughter out. Whereas me and mom stays in the same city, only 12 km apart, but I cant count on my mom to come over to my place during that period. It neither happened during Om's birth nor will it happen this time.


On both the sides our children are unfortunate in the case of grandparents. Om's paternal grand parents deceased when B was only 6 and 7 yrs old(within a yr) . The siblings helped themselves out from the tense situation. I lost my father when I was 18. So my mom is the only living grandparent of Om.

But even she is not well to give me a little support. She got blood sugar after the birth of my elder sister. So I was born in sugar hence my heavy weight at birth(9lb and 3 oz). And in due course she developed thyroid and high pressure. As a result she started suffering from frozen shoulder, arthritis, retinopathy in eyes, etc.. Last year just at the time of Om's Annaprasan(6 mth ritual) Mom lost her left eye with which she could view better than the right one. By an accident she fell on the floor and the left eye was smashed out with all its contents being emptied on the floor of the dinning room. She had a cataract operation on that eye several years ago and the stitch gave away at that sudden thrust. Not to mention the various trivial matters she suffers from. That was her physical part. Mentally she was completely dependant on my father for each and every respect. When my father died I tried to provide her all the mental and physical support I could.But now since the last year I am too busy with my pregnancy, motherhood and my job that I could hardly take care of her.

So her support is out question. After Om was brought home I had to handle situation myself and this time it wont be any exception. I remember the first night of Om at home. I was released on the 5th day and we were all alone with the baby after my sister left. That night Om wailed till 2.00a.m. after which he dozed off to sleep. We were at a fix... nobody to help.. nobody to look to... Docs at Kolkata will hardly bother to answer phones at that hour of the night. So we called up Rony at Ireland but he could hardly help without seeing the baby. At last when Om calmed down we were a bit relieved. The next morning we had to put him naked for the sun bath as he had jaundice when he was released. Didnt know what to have for our meals... my physic was not permitting at all. Ohhhhhhh what a time it was...

This time I will be much more organized as I have been through the situation once. I hope so...

2 comments:

B o o said...

Hugs dear. Does your sister live close? I believe we are all built to handle any situation but it does nt mean we cant use some help. Is it possible to hire a nanny or a full time maid for the first couple of weeks at least? Or a cook perhaps? Think about it.
And of course we bloggers are around to lend an ear or a shoulder for you. Always. Take care. More hugs.

Om said...

Thanks for your concern. As I told that it is more organized this time as I have a maid for Om who cooks for us too. So better on the home front.

But I think a Mom is something different from an aid. That is feelings add up to the job. I dont want my Mom to do the job but her presence means a lot on the mental side.

Anyways, that is what life is... not the same for all. You take care of yourself as you are nearing by.

Thanks once again.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker